Missy Jenkins Musical Mysteries - Mystery, Music and Murder!
RSS

Recent Posts

Who is Missy Jenkins?
ARE YOU A PLOTTER OR A PANTSER?
WRITING IN RHYTHM
THE POWER OF PROOFREADING
Sinking Springs Skatarena c.1950s

Categories

Missy Jenkins mysteries
mystery, writing, music
published book
rollerskating
writing, editing
powered by

My Blog

Death in 3/4 Time

The second book in the Missy Jenkins musical mystery series, "Death in 3/4 Time," takes place in December of 1979. The following excerpt is from Chapter One:
     The sparkle of ice on the bedroom window softened the deep blue of the winter night. She glanced at the clock on the nightstand. Two a.m. With her husband on a business trip and her teenagers spending the night with friends, this was her opportunity to indulge her secret passion for ballroom dance.
     Taking a deep breath, she inhaled the cool, clean pine scent of the Christmas garland looped around the upstairs bannister. Lilting strains of a Strauss waltz played softly as the woman's slippered feet slid noiselessly across the hardwood floor. Head tilted to one side, embracing an invisible partner, she glided to the rise and fall of the waltz rhythm. One-two-three, one-two-three. Her heart soared with the freedom the music instilled in her. As she twirled, the pink chiffon skirt of the ball gown swirled out like an airy puff of cotton candy, then settled back around her shapely calves. The neckline was adorned with marabou feathers that fluttered gracefully in time with the rhythm of her movements.
     Behind her, the lid to the chest containing her ball gowns was propped open. Once, long ago, she thought she would become a dancer. But her husband scoffed at her love of dance, suppressed her joy. Her children who used to prance around the house with her as toddlers, ridiculed her as soon as their father's influence took hold. For many years she gave in and gave up. Now, with only a few weeks remaining of 1979, a new decade promised a fresh start for her. She had finally found the self-confidence to live the life she wanted, not what others demanded of her. She had shared her secret with someone she could trust, and a weight had been lifted.
     She thought about the wasted years. A rollercoaster of emotional highs and lows had marked her married life. Marital bliss had soon eroded into lies and infidelity. When her son was born, she devoted herself into becoming the perfect mother. After her daughter was born, a failed suicide attempt sent her to the psychiatrist who prescribed the drugs that had ruled her life since then. Manic-depressive, the doctor called it. Looking back, now that she no longer relied on the pills to get her through the day, she realized how overcompensating and overprotective she had become.
     A loud noise jolted her out of her reverie. What was that? She turned off the music and listened intently. Nothing. The old feeling of paranoia welled up inside her. No! She closed the lid of the chest holding the gowns and waited. The hall was dark, the house bathed in silence. A few months ago, she would have said that withdrawal symptoms were making her imagination run wild. But not any more. She definitely heard a noise. She started down the stairs.

9 Comments to Death in 3/4 Time:

Comments RSS
bestesays on Tuesday, March 20, 2018 9:42 PM
More professional demanded and increasing perfect containing her movements business trip topics about the interesting the more chances always. This missyjenkinsmysteries blog has been making us about turned off symptoms and better imagined.
Reply to comment

sdgdg on Tuesday, April 03, 2018 6:47 AM
Reply to comment

Iq option on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 5:05 AM
Now I am ready to do my breakfast, when having my breakfast coming again to read further news.
Reply to comment

do my paper for me on Sunday, July 01, 2018 11:45 PM
Writing in rhythm the length and technique fragments always for the better chances and opportunity to visit missyjenkinsmysteries blog. The interesting writing instrument engaging the style and tension as well.
Reply to comment

kopie horloges on Saturday, July 14, 2018 6:32 PM
Lucky us We determined a person's internet site mistakenly, and We discount ray ban sunglasses here's stunned why the following mishap could not took place previous! We added the item.
Reply to comment

uk fake watches on Monday, July 16, 2018 8:05 AM
Thank you for sharing this blog.
Reply to comment

Enoch on Sunday, July 29, 2018 12:20 AM
It teaches us the new of living a life.I think the one we use is also by Klaire labs, and also ordered on Amazon.I hope you can use any of this.linkYes you're right hope is everything for us, just believe and keep the faith.we do not need a phone and a chip in the eyeball, everything will be fine, and with fingerprints we had big problems, remember that it began in the 22nd yearlink JD is right.Leslie, I know you love music a lot.link
Reply to comment

test on Monday, October 01, 2018 8:14 PM
test
Reply to comment

superiorpapers.com legit on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 1:32 AM
I am reading this in the middle of the night and now I instantly regret this decision that I made. The last part in which she heard a noise made my heart beat so fast. I do not have the courage anymore to go downstairs to get a glass of water. I experienced the same thing before. I thought I just misheard the noise, but as I remove my earphones, the noise kept on intensifying as time goes by. That's the worst experience I had so far in this boarding house that I am residing in. Please excuse me as I turn my phone off and force myself to drift into sleep.
Reply to comment