Missy Jenkins Musical Mysteries - Mystery, Music and Murder!
My Blog

Death in 3/4 Time

The second book in the Missy Jenkins musical mystery series, "Death in 3/4 Time," takes place in December of 1979. The following excerpt is from Chapter One:
     The sparkle of ice on the bedroom window softened the deep blue of the winter night. She glanced at the clock on the nightstand. Two a.m. With her husband on a business trip and her teenagers spending the night with friends, this was her opportunity to indulge her secret passion for ballroom dance.
     Taking a deep breath, she inhaled the cool, clean pine scent of the Christmas garland looped around the upstairs bannister. Lilting strains of a Strauss waltz played softly as the woman's slippered feet slid noiselessly across the hardwood floor. Head tilted to one side, embracing an invisible partner, she glided to the rise and fall of the waltz rhythm. One-two-three, one-two-three. Her heart soared with the freedom the music instilled in her. As she twirled, the pink chiffon skirt of the ball gown swirled out like an airy puff of cotton candy, then settled back around her shapely calves. The neckline was adorned with marabou feathers that fluttered gracefully in time with the rhythm of her movements.
     Behind her, the lid to the chest containing her ball gowns was propped open. Once, long ago, she thought she would become a dancer. But her husband scoffed at her love of dance, suppressed her joy. Her children who used to prance around the house with her as toddlers, ridiculed her as soon as their father's influence took hold. For many years she gave in and gave up. Now, with only a few weeks remaining of 1979, a new decade promised a fresh start for her. She had finally found the self-confidence to live the life she wanted, not what others demanded of her. She had shared her secret with someone she could trust, and a weight had been lifted.
     She thought about the wasted years. A rollercoaster of emotional highs and lows had marked her married life. Marital bliss had soon eroded into lies and infidelity. When her son was born, she devoted herself into becoming the perfect mother. After her daughter was born, a failed suicide attempt sent her to the psychiatrist who prescribed the drugs that had ruled her life since then. Manic-depressive, the doctor called it. Looking back, now that she no longer relied on the pills to get her through the day, she realized how overcompensating and overprotective she had become.
     A loud noise jolted her out of her reverie. What was that? She turned off the music and listened intently. Nothing. The old feeling of paranoia welled up inside her. No! She closed the lid of the chest holding the gowns and waited. The hall was dark, the house bathed in silence. A few months ago, she would have said that withdrawal symptoms were making her imagination run wild. But not any more. She definitely heard a noise. She started down the stairs.

40 Comments to Death in 3/4 Time:

Comments RSS
bestesays on Tuesday, March 20, 2018 9:42 PM
More professional demanded and increasing perfect containing her movements business trip topics about the interesting the more chances always. This missyjenkinsmysteries blog has been making us about turned off symptoms and better imagined.

sdgdg on Tuesday, April 3, 2018 6:47 AM

Iq option on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 5:05 AM
Now I am ready to do my breakfast, when having my breakfast coming again to read further news.

do my paper for me on Sunday, July 1, 2018 11:45 PM
Writing in rhythm the length and technique fragments always for the better chances and opportunity to visit missyjenkinsmysteries blog. The interesting writing instrument engaging the style and tension as well.

kopie horloges on Saturday, July 14, 2018 6:32 PM
Lucky us We determined a person's internet site mistakenly, and We discount ray ban sunglasses here's stunned why the following mishap could not took place previous! We added the item.

uk fake watches on Monday, July 16, 2018 8:05 AM
Thank you for sharing this blog.

Enoch on Sunday, July 29, 2018 12:20 AM
It teaches us the new of living a life.I think the one we use is also by Klaire labs, and also ordered on Amazon.I hope you can use any of this.linkYes you're right hope is everything for us, just believe and keep the faith.we do not need a phone and a chip in the eyeball, everything will be fine, and with fingerprints we had big problems, remember that it began in the 22nd yearlink JD is right.Leslie, I know you love music a lot.link

test on Monday, October 1, 2018 8:14 PM
test

superiorpapers.com legit on Tuesday, October 2, 2018 1:32 AM
I am reading this in the middle of the night and now I instantly regret this decision that I made. The last part in which she heard a noise made my heart beat so fast. I do not have the courage anymore to go downstairs to get a glass of water. I experienced the same thing before. I thought I just misheard the noise, but as I remove my earphones, the noise kept on intensifying as time goes by. That's the worst experience I had so far in this boarding house that I am residing in. Please excuse me as I turn my phone off and force myself to drift into sleep.

78987 on Monday, December 17, 2018 8:17 PM

CBD Tinctures on Friday, March 15, 2019 5:33 AM
CBD and hemp oil online shopping. CBD and hemp oil products for sale online. Shop for CBD and hemp oil now!

Transport marchandise Baie-Mahault on Friday, March 15, 2019 9:46 AM
I like this website pretty much. Great info. Hi and thanks for the web blogs.

CBD on Thursday, March 28, 2019 6:19 PM
Choose From Our Amazing Flavors Of CBD Oil

Join Pak Navy Apply Online on Monday, April 8, 2019 5:37 AM
They necessitate more exertion than a fantasy or romance. Anyway, the following is just me being thorough.

fortnite battle royale on Tuesday, May 7, 2019 3:20 AM
The event began when a mysterious space-like vault was opened on Lake Loot, which took players to a new dimension.

tableclothsfactory on Friday, May 31, 2019 9:44 PM
Death in 3/4 Time

wholesale eyelashes on Tuesday, June 4, 2019 2:16 AM
Death in 3/4 Time

joinpaknavy.gov.pk on Wednesday, June 12, 2019 6:10 AM
Here we are going to provide you how to join Pak Navy 2019. If you want to join Pak Navy than you must visit our web page. Stay in touch with us for more details.

iphone 8 plus cases on Saturday, June 22, 2019 10:55 PM
Death in 3/4 Time

300-115 exam questions answers on Sunday, July 14, 2019 9:42 PM
Ace4sure is the website that deals in preparation material for the exam for many years. According to my exposure and research, this is the right platform where you can get exact exam dumps.

12th class Result 2019 on Wednesday, July 17, 2019 12:08 AM
Here we are going to provide you 12th Class Result 2019. Students can check their result through online by entering your roll number or through sms. 12th class result has been announced in the month of August 2019. Stay in touch with us for more details.

Live video chat on Saturday, July 20, 2019 5:22 AM
These are great tips. I found many interesting things from this site. It helps me in many ways. Thanks! Keep Sharing !!

Yeezy on Sunday, August 18, 2019 9:25 PM

private investigator dallas cost on Friday, August 30, 2019 4:15 AM
Amazing article, it turned into exceptionally obliging! I understandably began in this and i am becoming greater acquainted thinking about it bigger!

hawkesbury houseboats on Sunday, October 6, 2019 7:22 AM
You have observed very interesting points ! ps decent internet site .

termite inspections on Thursday, October 17, 2019 8:23 AM
You made such an captivating fragment to go browsing, giving all situation enlightenment for us to earnings expertise. thanks for sharing the such insinuation subsequent to us to gate this...

sims 4 cheats on Friday, October 18, 2019 10:16 PM
I have read your blog. I really like it very much. I am really glad and very impressed with your work. If you love pets, let visit game sims 4 cheats create a wonderful pet.

Second home on Tuesday, January 7, 2020 2:22 PM
As I can see from your blog that you are still in your auto service business. You'll never believe how happy I am after seeing your blog. Really nowadays, it is so important to find a good workshop our cars. But somehow a good car workshop is not available everywhere. So, I would like to thanks the author for your amazing post.

Target Coupons on Thursday, January 9, 2020 3:43 AM
We are a leading department store. They bring Active target promo codes and target coupon codes for their customers. You can use an active target discount code for maximum saving. At the time of buying clothes, Electronic, kitchen & dining, baby care, Furniture, Beauty, Health, and also for Grocery products.

Asus Rog Sheath Gaming Mouse Pad on Tuesday, January 21, 2020 10:53 PM
I appreciate the efforts you people put in to share blogs on such kind of topics, it was indeed helpful. Keep Posting!

Norton antivirus on Monday, January 27, 2020 1:00 AM
Norton 360 protects your all devices from malware, spyware, ransomware, and also from other online threats. Powerful and Popular brand which gives you multilayer protection, online privacy and many more. They store your data and make it safe from hackers. Norton is the new generation protection software and recently update plans. For more information please check our website and protect your home and business devices.

Useless Websites on Thursday, February 6, 2020 1:47 AM
Death in 3/4 Time Useless Websites

23 is back on Sunday, March 15, 2020 11:04 PM
23 is back https://23is-back.com/ 23 is back

small tattoos on Sunday, March 29, 2020 9:42 PM
small tattoos https://inksmalltattoos.com/ small tattoos

Yeezy on Tuesday, April 28, 2020 6:24 AM

hard money loans for primary residence on Tuesday, May 5, 2020 1:04 AM
An amazing site for freshing your mind. Mysteries are one of the best genre. Regards !

asad on Saturday, May 9, 2020 5:25 PM
It is good that you always mention the positive 안전놀이터 image of these types of topics but on the other hand if you need related assistance. I really love this post and hope to see such informative news furthermore. Keep it up.

asad on Saturday, May 16, 2020 9:01 PM
This article gives the light in which we 릴게임폴리스 can observe the reality. I love to reading an article that can make people believe. Thanks a lot for sharing a piece of wonderful information which I am looking for a longer period of time.

asad on Thursday, May 21, 2020 3:56 PM
It was very useful to me. This is truly a great 릴게임 read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work.

pocket watch on Thursday, July 9, 2020 8:23 PM